I’ve been dealing with adult acne since I turned 17 so cleaning my makeup brushes on a regular basis is a task I make sure to prioritize into my busy life. Here are my tips to making sure you’re spreading beauty, not bacteria on your face.
What you’ll need:
- Antibacterial brush cleaner – you can find this from your favorite makeup brand
- Hot water
- About 5 minutes depending on the number of brushes you are cleaning
- Dampen the bristles of a brush in hot water – be sure to get only the bristles wet during this as you will ruin the brushes over time if you drench your entire brush in water.
- Pour a dime for an eye brush to a quarter for a face brush amount of brush cleaner in the palm of your hand.
- Swirl the bristles of your brush in the cleaner until you believe you have worked all the makeup out of the bristles.
- Rinse your bristles in hot water. Again, I like to swirl the bristles on the palm of my hand under the water so I can really rinse the bristles off.
- Reshape the bristles and hang off the edge of a counter to dry overnight.
- Repeat until all your brushes are clean. For extra dirty brushes go back to step 2.
I wash my foundation brushes every week and all my brushes at least once a month or as necessary.
The Fashionista Farmwife